Running on the road to get healthy, lose weight, and fit? Then, take a pause and eliminate foods that act as roadblocks, like transfat, added sugar, refined and processed food. Most importantly, replace your cooking oil because it may have unhealthy and polysaturated fats, that can raise inflammation in the body, that in turn triggers weight gain. If you have switched your food with greens and got rid of junk food, changing your cooking oil might also be your wisest decision. In this post, we will be listing out 7 worst oils that are bad for your weight loss goals and waistline. So, ladies, take notice because it’s time to ditch these oils and switch to better alternatives.
But before that, here are different type of fats found in cooking oils:
What is Saturated Fat?
It is a fat that is rich in saturated fatty acids, usually solid at room temperature, it is found mainly in products derived from animals. Saturated fat can be found high in the following foods – meat, palm oil, coconut oil, and butter. Saturated fat is not good for the human body as it tends to raise the cholesterol level in the blood, which can cause various diseases including heart-related diseases.
What is Mono-saturated Fat?
The easiest way to find out whether it is saturated fat or a mono-saturated fat is by checking the consistency of the oil – a monounsaturated fat is typically liquid at room temperature but it will turn solid when refrigerated. The perfect example of monosaturated oil is olive oil. Mono-saturated fat is the type of fat that we must consume in moderation to live a healthier lifestyle and maintain overall health, as it helps to reduce bad cholesterol levels from the blood and can lower the risk of heart disease and stroke too. It also provide’s enough nutrition to help develop and maintain body’s cells. Oils rich in mono-saturated fats are – olive oil, canola oil, safflower oil, sesame oil and peanut oil.
What is Polyunsaturated Fat?
Polyunsaturated fat is the healthiest of the above-mentioned fatty acids; however, since they are highly unstable and when refined using a chemical process, they can raise inflammation in the body, triggering weight gain. This type of fat can be found in animal foods such as salmon, tuna, trout. nuts like walnuts, seeds like sunflower seeds, flax seeds, vegetable oils like soybean oil, safflower oil and corn oil.
Extra virgin Olive Oil, butter, ghee, coconut oil, avocado oil, are considered some of the best healthy oils.
Now, here’s the list of worst cooking oils:
1. Cottonseed oil: In its unrefined and pure form, it has a compound called gossypol which is toxic in nature, and in refined form, it has high amount of omega-6 fatty acids, and trace amounts of pesticides as well. Since it’s extremely cheap, it’s extensively used to make junk and processed food.
2. Soy Oil: There’s a huge misconception that soy oil is healthy, it’s not! Research done has shown that this oil can cause genetic changes, increase the risk for type 2 diabetes, and
3. Corn Oil: The high omega-6 fatty acid makes it a pro-inflammatory oil, that can lead to weight gain.
4. Canola Oil: It is believed that canola oil can aid in weight loss and makes it perfect for people who want to stay fit or for those who simply enjoy healthy food. Canola oil reduces the risk of heart-related and various other diseases. The best part is that it doesn’t really have any flavour which makes it even better to use it for Indian dishes, sautéing or even for baking. Canola oil has both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which makes it to the top on the list of healthy cooking oils. The oil is also rich in vitamins E and K which contributes to healthy-looking skin. According to studies, people who consume canola oil reduce belly fat compared to others using various other cooking oils, hope this is convincing!
5. Vanaspati: Hydrogenated cooking oil, it is a cheaper alternative to pure ghee. Vanaspati is made from chemically processing vegetable oil, and highly unhealthy for your heart and weight loss efforts.
6. Palm Oil: A lot of processed food is made with palm oil. It is high in saturated fats, increases risk for obesity and heart disease.
7. Vegetable oils: This is the worst oil cooking oil with high omega 6 fatty acids raising inflammation and even increasing the risk of heart disease and cancer.
Most importantly, if you are trying to lose weight and get, check out the Rati Beauty diet for the right meal plans that will help you slim down. All details are mentioned on the Rati Beauty app.